Evidence and the Message
Is there evidence of William Branham's failed visions and prophecies? Is there proof that he lied?
Message followers often tell us that they will not look at the evidence because they have been called to "only believe".
But what does the Bible say we should look at?
- 1 What the Bible says about evidence
- 2 Evidence that William Branham was not a prophet
- 3 Evidence that William Branham lied
- 4 Evidence that William Branham taught things that were not in scripture
- 5 Footnotes
- 6 Navigation
What the Bible says about evidence
The bible clearly talks about the value of evidence.
Luke focused on evidence as proof the Gospel was true
The whole purpose of Luke's writings were to provide proof:
- Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word have delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, that you may have certainty concerning the things you have been taught. 
Acts 1:1-3 (written by Luke):
- In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach, until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.
Acts 9:22-23 (Paul provided proof to the Jews):
- Saul’s preaching became more and more powerful, and the Jews in Damascus couldn’t refute his proofs that Jesus was indeed the Messiah.
Jesus said we should look at the evidence
In John 14:11, the need to look at the evidence is clear:
- Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.
The need for 2-3 witnesses is required as evidence
Jesus outlined the requirement in Matthew 18:16:
- ...take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.
Paul made the requirement clear in 2 Corinthians 13:1:
- Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.
Paul also made the point clear in his instructions to Timothy in 1 Tim. 5:19-20:
- Do not admit a charge against an elder except on the evidence of two or three witnesses. As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.
Evidence that William Branham was not a prophet
The scriptural test of a prophet is clear as outlined by Moses in Deuteronomy 18:
- But if any prophet presumes to speak anything in my name that I have not authorized him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. Now if you say to yourselves, ‘How can we tell that a message is not from the LORD?’—18:22 whenever a prophet speaks in my name and the prediction is not fulfilled, then I have not spoken it; the prophet has presumed to speak it, so you need not fear him.”
While at first we found this almost impossible to believe, we have been unable to locate a single unambiguous prophecy that was made in advance in a public forum (on tape) and that was later clearly fulfilled. However, there are numerous examples of visions that were made publicly which failed (were not fulfilled) and prophecies that changed drastically over time. If you click on the individual lines below, they will take you to a detailed explanation of each issue.
How can William Branham be a true prophet of God if he failed the test of Deut 18:20-22?
- What did William Branham prophesy about Billy Graham? Did the prophecy come to pass? (this is either a failed prophecy or William Branham lied about the prophecy).
- Did William Branham make any REAL prophecies? (We can't find any before the fact prophecies on any tape!)
- Why did William Branham say that the municipal bridge vision was fulfilled when it clearly wasn't? (Failed Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham say "Thus Saith The Lord" that he would shoot a large brown bear, when he didn't? (Failed Prophecy)
- Why did the vision that William Branham had of the meetings in south Africa fail to be fulfilled? (Failed Prophecy)
SevenTen Prophecies of 1933
- Why did William Branham prophecy that America would start World War 2? (Prophecy Changed/Failed Prophecy)
- Was Mussloni's invasion of Ethiopia really his last invasion? (Prophecy Changed/Failed Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham's prophecy of Hitler change over time? (Prophecy Changed)
- Did Facism, Nazisim and Communism really unite into Communism? (Failed Prophecy)
- Did the prophecy of egg-shaped come from William Branham's visit to the 1933 World's Fair? ("After the Fact" Prophecy)
- Was William Branham's prophecy of a driverless car based on a Disney TV program? ("After the Fact" Prophecy)
- Are women really going to wear a fig leaf apron and go topless? (Failed Prophecy)
- Did women elect the wrong person or was it the men's vote? ("After the Fact" Prophecy/Failed Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham state that the prophecy of the rise of the cruel woman in America was already fulfilled? (Failed Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham change his prophecy of the destruction of America? (Prophecy Changed)
- Why is Los Angeles still above water if Billy Paul is an old man? (Failed Prophecy)
- Was William Branham's death before the Rapture a failed prophecy? (Failed Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham state that Martin Luther King, Jr. would cause the death of millions, when this didn't happen? (Not a prophecy)
- Was William Branham's vision of Marilyn Monroe's death accurate? (Failed Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham change the vision of the angels appearing? (Prophecy Changed)
- Why did William Branham predict that the USA would be destroyed by 1977? (Failed Prophecy)
- Was the meeting of Nikita Khrushchev and Dwight Eisenhower the fulfillment of Daniel chapter 2? (Failed Prophecy)
- Will Russia destroy the Vatican? (Failed Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham say that man would never land on the moon... but the communists might? (Failed Prophecy)
- Was the prophecy of the World Council of Churches accurate? (Failed Prophecy)
- If the vision of the Plum and Apple Trees was from God, why did William Branham change his mind about it in 1965? (Prophecy Changed)
- Was the prophecy of the 1964 Alaska earthquake made after the fact? ("After the Fact" Prophecy)
- What is the Third Pull? Was it prophetic? (too vague to qualify as a bona fide prophecy)
- Did William Branham really prophecy where he would live? ("After the Fact" Prophecy)
- Why did William Branham mention the Ohio river flood years before he told of his prophecy without saying anything about it? ("After the Fact" Prophecy)
- Is Florida going under as well? (Ambiguous prophecy)
- Did William Branham prophesy his own death? (This was not a prophecy)
- Why did William Branham's original commissioning vision disappear? (This vision was abandoned by William Branham)
- Was the birth of Joseph Branham foretold? (Ambiguous prophecy)
- Was the death of Florence Shakarian prophesied before she died? (Ambiguous prophecy)
- Was William Branham's ministry foretold in a Santa Rosa church? ("After the Fact" Prophecy)
Evidence that William Branham lied
Evidence that William Branham taught things that were not in scripture
- The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2016), Lk 1:1–5.
- The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2016), Ac 1:1–3.
- Tyndale House Publishers, Holy Bible: New Living Translation (Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2013), Ac 9:22–23.
- The New International Version (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011), Jn 14:11.
- The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2016), Mt 18:16.
- The New International Version (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011), 2 Co 13:1.
- The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2016), 1 Ti 5:19–20.
- Biblical Studies Press, The NET Bible First Edition; Bible. English. NET Bible.; The NET Bible (Biblical Studies Press, 2005), Dt 18:20–22.