William Branham railed against religious systems. The Catholic Church, as the first and strongest Christian denomination, was identified by William Branham as the Beast. The World Council of Churches (the WCC), in its spirit of ecumenism (inter-denominational unity in worship), was identified by him as the Image to the Beast.
William Branham's made the following very specific prophecies:
- The World Council of Churches will agree with the Roman Catholic Church on the topic of communion,
- Rather than having all Protestants become Catholics, the various denominations will simply unite in a Federation.
- The Federation of Churches (Catholic and Protestant) will force all independent churches to join in association, or be subject to closure.
- The Federation of Churches will produce the antichrist,
- The Federation of Churches will persecute the true Christian Church, which will not unite with their system.
The problems with the prophecy
There are a number of problems with William Branham's prophecy relating to the WCC:
- It is extremely unlikely that any of the evengelical denominations will agree with the Roman Catholic church on the subject of communion.
- William Branham's prophecy completely ignores the World Evangelical Alliance, an organization that was established in 1846 and currently represents 600 million Christians globally.
Unity in Communion
That's the only thing...that stops the Catholicism and Protestantism from uniting, is the order of communion. The Catholic church says, "It is the body," and the Protestant church says, "It represents the body." ...They call it a mass; we call it a communion. A mass is hoping it's so. A communion is knowing it's so and thank Him for it. See? And there's the only thing that they cannot get together on. They'll do it.
- Sermon: The Stature of a Perfect Man, Jeffersonville, IN, October 14, 1962
Birth of the Antichrist
You young people, remember that you heard a minister say that. That'll finally wind up. And that is the mark of the beast, when she forms that World Council of Churches. And she'll give birth to her son, the antichrist.
- Sermon: The Choosing of a Bride, LA, California, April 29, 1965.
Bundles to be burned
They're getting bundled, all these organizations. Big bundles is coming to one big bundle. That's right. What is that bundle? You know what it is. World Council of Churches, forming the image of the beast. Truly. And you people that's scared of communism, I want you to show me one place in the Bible where communism will rule the world. Well, I'll tell you the Bible says that Romanism will rule the world. Exactly right.
- Sermon: Presuming, S. Pines, NC, June 10, 1962
Call to leave denominations
I am duty bound to a Message; not to be different, but because of love. Love is corrective. Come back! Stay away from that thing! You ministering brothers, I don't care what your groups does, stay away from it! Stay out of it! It's the mark of the beast, stay away from it! See, Jesus is knocking in this Laodicea age. See where they put Him out?
- Sermon: Doors in Door, Flagstaff, AZ, February 6, 1965
Return to Persecution
When the little old church is still down yonder being borned again in a mess like any birth is, still paying the price, still getting down and dying out, acting the same way they did when they first got born at the day of Pentecost, same kind of a church down there... They'll be closed and shut out under the Federation of Churches. It'll be a boycott like a union or something. You'll either come in or you'll go out.
- Sermon: Questions and Answers, June 28, 1959
It choked the Spirit right out of them, when they began to take wisdom instead of faith in the Word...And soon they're to form up a confederation of church, which will be the image to the beast. And he will have the same power in this nation (Revelations 13:11) that they had over there, and will cause a persecution upon the saints, just like they did at the beginning of the--the Roman church.
- Sermon: Wisdom versus Faith, Jeffersonville, IN, April 1, 1962
William Branham did not state whether the Catholic and Christian denominations would reach full-communion or partial-communion. If he meant partial-communion, then regardless of official church policy this prophecy has in many ways already been fulfilled.
Time Magazine Reports:
In an interfaith age, Protestant and Roman Catholic clergy pray together and picket together, and hardly a church exists that has not been preached to by a minister of another faith. But there is a point where ardent advocates of ecumenism draw the line: interCommunion. Time, The Inter-Communion Barrier, Friday, Feb. 25, 1966
In 2007 the Catholic "Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith" (which, incidentally, is the successor of the "Holy Office of the Inquisition") issued a statement that:
- “Jesus established here on earth only one Church and instituted it as a visible and spiritual community that from its beginning and throughout the centuries has always existed and will always exist, and in which alone are found all the elements that Christ himself instituted. […] This Church, constituted and organised in this world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church, governed by the successor of Peter and the Bishops in communion with him.”
The World council of Churches responded to this statement with the following paragraph:
- "Each church is the Church catholic and not simply a part of it. Each church is the Church catholic, but not the whole of it. Each church fulfils its catholicity when it is in communion with the other churches."
One of the goals of the World Council of churches, which represents over 550 million Christians, includes "most of the world's Orthodox churches, scores of denominations from such historic traditions of the Protestant Reformation as Anglican, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist and Reformed, as well as many united and independent churches", is to achieve "the goal of visible unity in one faith and one eucharistic fellowship." 
The Mark of the Beast Identified
And remember, that we found without one mistake, that the mark of the beast is a mark of apostasy, that is, church members hanging to their church instead of walking in the Light. They reject Light, and there's nothing left by darkness (That's right.), both Catholic and Protestant. There is "a beast," and a whore," and she had "harlot" daughters. And these harlot daughters, when they broke forth, they were virgins from the Light of that day, and they organized and bringing people down here, back into here, making them the same kind of a thing that Rome was in the beginning. The Bible said so: the beast, and an image to the beast, the letter of his name, and so forth.
- Sermon: The Seal of God, Jeffersonville, IN, May 14, 1954
The Gentile Church is raptured. And those who refused, and just walked under justification, the dragon, the Roman power, spurts the water, which will unite with Communism, and take the church into a persecution like that. There they are pictured exactly.
- ↑ QUESTIONS.AND.ANSWERS.1_ JEFF.IN 54-0103M