|This article is one in a series of studies on Jesus as Son - you are currently on the topic that is in bold:
Jesus Christ was born to a virgin named Mary, who was espoused to a just man named Joseph. Mary (who prophecied that all subsequent generations would call her blessed), was a vessel of honour unto God, and was indeed blessed. However, she was not blessed as the "mother of God", but simply as the surrogate mother of Jesus. As testimony to this, Jesus never called Mary his 'mother', but simply 'woman', and was only called the "son of Mary" by others.
God had prophecied in the Garden of Eden that the "seed of the woman" would crush the serpent's head. As a woman has no seed of her own (the seed is from the man, or from the union of the man and the woman), Jesus became the only possible hope of fulfilling this prophecy. Jesus was created as a seed in Mary's womb, and was not the offspring of a created sperm and a fallen egg. Subjecting himself the the shame of the natural birth - part of the curse established in the Garden of Eden - God joined Adam's race through his Son, Christ Jesus.
Seed of the Woman
- He said, 'thy seed.' And she had no seed."
- It takes a union to make a seed. Is that right, doctor? Has to be. If you got a whole lot of pulp out here, didn't have no life in it, and planted it out here, it--it wouldn't never come up, lay there and rot. And you couldn't plant the life without having the pulp. So, you see, the whole thing is a union. (Sermon: Oneness JEFF.IN 62-0211)
The Son of God, not the son of Mary
- And notice, then she was given a Seed which was Christ. Neither her egg... Now, the Protestant wants to believe that it was a virgin born hemoglobin, that was the created Blood of God where the germ lays, but said it was her egg. No, sir. That egg cannot come down through that tube into the womb unless there be a sensation. Then you put God with a--a Spirit having sexual intercourse with a woman. How can it be done? It was a created matter of God altogether, both egg and germ.
- And He was the Son of God, not the son of Mary, for He never did call her mother. "Woman," He called her, never mother. She wasn't His mother. It was the Son of God, and God is One. Get it? (Sermon: Questions and answers 3, JEFF.IN 64-0830M)
The Promised Son
- Now we see here the true revelation of the true type. There is three women carriers of the natural seed, until the matured into Jesus. How Ishmael could not be, because he was born, really, in what we would think today, out of wedlock, because he was a bondswoman's son. Then come a little more like Him, like Jesus, which come out Isaac; but it still wasn't, because it was born of the sex between Sarah and Abraham. But then along came Mary, by the virgin birth, produced Jesus Christ. That's right. God, the Word, made flesh. (Sermon: The seed is not heir with the shuck, JEFF.IN 65-0218)
||And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
||And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
||And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
||Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
||And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
||And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me. And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
||Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
||For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
||And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.
||But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
||And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
||Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
||Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.