Translate page into:
William Branham often quoted the Bible as saying: "We're borned in sin, shaped in iniquity, come to the world speaking lies."
But this verse is no where to be found in the Bible.
What the Bible actually says
William Branham is actually misquoting two verses and then putting the misquoted passages together to form something that the Bible never says:
- Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight,
- so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment.
- Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
- Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.
- No, in your hearts you devise wrongs; your hands deal out violence on earth.
- The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies.
The problem with William Branham's mashup
William Branham's scriptural mashup makes a statement that the Bible doesn't say. Context is important.
What the Bible actually contains is a statement by David saying that he was "brought forth in iniquity" and in sin his mother conceived him.
In an entirely different psalm, David also writes that "even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward, spreading lies."
Psalm 51 is David referring to himself while Psalm 58 is David speaking of the wicked.
Quotes of William Branham
Men and women who were once sinners lost in sin, come to the world speaking lies, shaped in iniquity.
The Bible said, "We're borned in sin, shaped in iniquity, come to the world speaking lies." When you're born without Christ you haven't even got a chance...
Now, we have a book called the history; it said George Washington never told a lie. I doubt that. I doubt that. Yes, sir. I'm… I—I—I don't—don't believe that. A kid can come up… "You're born in sin, shaped in iniquity, come to the world speaking lies," says the Bible. So I—I doubt that historical point of George Washington. But it only tells the good side of man.
- The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2001), Ps 51:4–6.
- The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton: Standard Bible Society, 2001), Ps 58:2–3.
- New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995), Ps 51:5.
- The New International Version (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011), Ps 58:3.
- 51-0502. paragraph 26, The Angel Of The Lord
- 55-0311, para. 33, The Seal Of The Antichrist
- 63-0421, para. 304, Victory Day