Phoenix Tabernacle Inc. is a message church in Phoenix, Arizona. The pastor of Phoenix Tabernacle is Bernabé (Bernie) G. García.
It is part of the Returned Ministry sub-cult of the message.
Endangering members of the church during the COVID-19 crisis
On April 18, 2020, Arizona Governor Douglas A. Ducey issued executive Order 2020-18 which requires people in the state of Arizona to stay home. Virtually every church in the state went to holding online services. Phoenix Tabernacle appeared to be the only church that continued to hold services based on the following news report in the Arizona Replublic newspaper:
- A Valley church has confirmed to The Arizona Republic that it continues to host services at its campus despite widespread calls to stay at home to curb the spread of the new coronavirus.
- Phoenix Tabernacle Inc. near 12th Street and Baseline Road in Phoenix responded to The Republic's inquiry by saying that it had implemented measures and modifications in order to comply with Gov. Doug Ducey's executive order signed Monday.
- The order prevents Arizonans from leaving their residences except for food, medicine and other "essential activities."
- Those activities include "engaging in constitutionally protected activities such as speech and religion ... conducted in a manner that provides appropriate physical distancing to the extent feasible," according to item four of the order.
- The church said congregants have a "Civil and Christian duty" to abide by the executive order "for the safeguarding of the health of our parishioners and community."
Apparently Phoenix Tabernacle sent an email to its congregation, which was signed by "The Phoenix Tabernacle Governing Board," and indicated the church had no plans to cancel services in the future.
- "We will continue to provide these crucial and necessary essential spiritual services of hope and healing in our local assembly, to our community and online during this terrible pandemic," the email read.
Message on the church website
The following message was on the church website immediately after the issuance of Executive Order 2020-18:
- To all members, visitors and faithful in Christ, our Governor Doug Ducey has signed a COVID-19 Executive Order 2020-18 dated March 30th 2020 for the State of Arizona. Under this Executive Order “Stay Home, Stay Healthy Stay Connected” Under the subheading, Essential Activities, Item 4. Section F. It states;
- “Engaging in constitutionally protected activities such as speech and religion, and any legal or court process provided that such is conducted in a manner that provides appropriate physical distancing to the extent feasible.”
- It is our Civil and Christian duty/responsibility to abide by the Arizona State Executive Orders for the safeguarding of the health of our parishioners and community. We will do so by continuing to implement and modify the following measures that we as a church have taken to include but not limited to;
- We are asking that all senior citizens or high-risk individuals to remain at home and view our live worship online services unless they choose to participate upon their own decision/election. We encourage that any individual who is immunologically compromised or does not feel safe to please self-quarantine for their personal safety.
- We are asking that all members/visitors remain at home if they are symptomatic or showing signs of illness such as cough, sore throat, fever, colds, sneezing or just do not feel well at all. We encourage you to view our live worship services online.
- We will remind you and enforce that upon entry to the church vestibule that you refrain from any physical contact such as hugging, shaking hands, elbow or fist pumps.
- You will be required to sanitize your hands and or direct you to the washroom to wash your hands before entering sanctuary.
- Family groups are required to sit together in a designated area only.
- We will be enforcing the state mandated six-foot social distancing rule.
- We encourage and allow anyone who believes/deems it necessary to bring latex gloves and N-95 or similar face masks for their safety to our worship services.
- We will be minimizing the length of our worship services to reduce exposure if any.
- If or after the social six-foot distancing rule in sanctuary has been met, any latecomers will be directed to our fellowship hall where these rules will also be implemented and enforced. We will be broadcasting the live worship service there.
- All collection baskets will be sanitized before and after every use.
- We will require that you bring your offering and tithe in a sealed envelope thereby minimizing contamination on currency. Offering and tithe envelopes are located in vestibule. If you decide to stay home and watch our worship online service you have the ability to donate your offering and tithe through STRIPE Credit/Debit Card payment platform. 1. Click on the DONATE tab 2. Scroll to the bottom and click on Tithe or Offering tab. 3. Enter information and click submit.
- Upon dismissal we will not be forming a line to greet and meet but instead you will be instructed to go directly to your vehicle and evacuate the premises in a safe and orderly manner.
- We are currently and will continue to sanitize/disinfect any and all contact surfaces throughout the sanctuary before, during and after every worship service. This includes but is not limited to door handles, door casings, faucets, sinks, urinal and toilet stalls, pews, podium, microphones, instruments, computers, audio/visual equipment… any and all contact surfaces.
- We as a body of believers will continue to go above and beyond the state mandated rules put in place by the Arizona Executive Order 2020-18 by being an example to our community and obeying our Governor Doug Ducey.
- We are depending upon every member to do their part by supporting and abiding by these new stipulations until further notice. We will modify these procedures on a day to day basis to keep current with any changes of Arizona State Executive Order 2020-18.
- We as a church have stored up provisions for those in need, especially for our seniors. If you need any essential food or sanitizing items please contact brother Carlos Cubillo at 602 761-0411. For any other questions please contact the Associate Pastor or any government officer by email through the Phoenix Tabernacle website.
- To view our online worship services please login to: phoenixtabernacle.org
- Thank you for your cooperation, with much love and respect, Phoenix Tabernacle Inc. Government
- Exodus 12:21-24
- “Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the Passover. And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the basin; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning. For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you. And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance to thee and to thy sons forever.”
- Revised April 1, 2020