Sydney Jackson

From BelieveTheSign
William Branham hunting with Sydney Jackson, 1965

Sydney Jackson was born in South Africa in 1900 to a family of English descent. Fluent in English, Afrikaans, Zulu, and a few other tribal languages, Sydney Jackson traveled as a missionary throughout South Africa, Zambia, Rhodesia, and Mozambique. Called a "bosom friend" by William Branham, Sydney Jackson attended several of the meetings during the 1951 campaign in South Africa, and invited William Branham on a hunting expedition in Southern Africa in 1965.

The third night in Johannesburg, at around 5-6 o'clock, a hailstorm broke out for about an hour, hitting the galvanized roofing of the auditorium [formerly a train station], and flooding the area where the meetings were going to be held. ...At the end of the service, I saw a man who had been bedridden for 8 years walk healed through the piles of hailstones on his way out of the auditorium.


The media player is loading...

The following testimonies are taken from an interview recorded in 1977.

Firsthand Evidence: Excerpts from the 1977 interview

Johannesburg Meetings: Brother Branham's first meetings in South Africa were in Johannesburg. The auditorium was an old railway building that could accommodate up to 10,000 people. These meetings were sponsored by various Pentecostal groups, and an estimated 17,000 people attended the first service, with people arriving at 4:30 for the 7:30 meetings.

People were even being healed while traveling to the meetings. ...Ambulances and double-decker buses arrived full of people wanting to be healed.

Only about 5-6 people with prayer cards actually made it onto the platform each evening, as William Branham would soon turn to calling people out of the audience. When Brother Branham prayed a mass prayer for the people, what looked like lightning moving out among the sick people, and hundreds of people were healed, including a friend of Sydney Jackson's who had been confined to a wheelchair for 23 years.

Durban Meetings: On November 25, 1951 the meetings in Durban began. The meetings were held at a racetrack that seated 60-80,000 people, not counting the standing room in the grass between the seats and the platform. Over 25,000 people were turned away at the gates, but still the people kept coming, and took the town by storm trying to get into the meetings - buses couldn't move, and the city came to a standstill.

One councilor of the city, known to and later baptized by Sydney Jackson, called William Branham to look out of his hotel window to see 7 large truck with crutches and wheelchairs go by, with people singing behind the trucks, healed.
The media player is loading...

The Durban and Johannesburg newspapers covered the story of the meetings. One article covered a heated argument between two ministers over whether Bro. Branham's ministry was genuine or spiritualist. That evening, a huge light confronted one of the ministers and a hand grabbed his shoulder. The imprint of a hand was burnt onto the shirt the man was wearing. The newspapers took photos of the shirt, and the imprint matched William Branham's hand.

Prophecy and Healing in Mozambique

William Branham and Billy Paul Branham went hunting with Sydney Jackson into the jungles of Mozambique in July 1965. Along the way, William Branham prophesied that a man would be brought who had smallpox, that the law of the land would required the drivers to take the man to the nearest hospital, and that they would be sitting there for a day or two without a vehicle. William Branham then asked Sydney Jackson if he would lay hands on such a man, knowing full well that he had such a contagious disease.

Sydney Jackson responded, "Well, I think I would shoot first and ask questions later."

William Branham then told Sydney Jackson, "Follow me." and he headed away from camp through the 8 foot elephant grass about 200 yards. As they stopped, they heard a group of men approaching. Finally appearing through the grass, the group turned out to be a group of natives carrying a man on a stretcher. who was incoherent and groaning. William Branham told Sydney Jackson to lay his hands on the man, and he then laid hands on himself. The most striking thing that Sydney Jackson remembers about the man is that even in the heat of Africa, the man temperature seemed extremely high.

The media player is loading...

The sick man was then loaded onto the truck and taken to the hospital. As the hospital was over a hundred miles away, William Branham's hunting party was stranded, as prophesied. However, in the morning the driver was back and told everyone that the man had completely recovered, and that they didn't need to go to the hospital after all. A few days later the (previously) sick man walked into the camp to say thank you.