William Branham claimed he saw a series of eight prophetic visions in June 1933, which he also claimed to write down in an old book. In the seventh vision, a woman rose to great power in America. William Branham was not sure whether the "Woman" in this vision was a physical woman, or a religious power such as the Catholic Church.
William Branham said the following in 1958:
- And I said, "Remember, in that day, before the end time comes, before the end time comes, that a woman... Now, you all keep this wrote down. There'll be a great powerful woman raise up, either be President, or dictator, or some great powerful woman in this United States. And she'll sink under the influence of women. Now, you remember; that's THUS SAITH THE LORD.
Problems with the prophecy
Changes in the prophecy over time
The prophecy was written down, so each retelling of it should have been consistent. However, William Branham's statement that a woman would rise to the American Presidency later changed to women voting in a Catholic president. The great woman became beautiful and cruel, and William Branham claimed this was fulfilled with the election of JFK. Later, the woman was dressed in purple. In one sermon this was to be followed immediately by the destruction of America. William Branham omitted JFK from the fulfillment of this prophecy after the President was assassinated in November 1963.
- 1955: A woman will rise to power in America as a president. 
- 1960: Women will vote in the wrong person (Kennedy), and a great woman beautiful and great would rise in the U.S. (perhaps the Catholic Church). 
- 1960: A great woman, beautiful and cruel, will stand up in the United States as a president (perhaps the Catholic church) 
- 1960: The vision showed Kennedy being elected. A great woman, beautiful and cruel, rising in the USA (perhaps the Catholic Church) caused by the women’s vote. Followed immediately by the destruction of America. 
- 1961: The women’s vote will elect the wrong man, causing a great, beautiful, and cruel woman to rise to power (a church) 
- 1961: Voting women would elect the wrong man (Kennedy). A great woman would rise in the US dressed in purple clothes (perhaps a ruler or the Catholic Church). 
- 1964: A great queen rising in the US, beautiful and wicked. 
- Church Age Book: Voting is connected with the decline in morals and the rise of a beautiful, cruel woman in America, possibly the Catholic Church. 
William Branham also mentions that Leo Mercer would be revising this prophecy, when he said, "By the way, Mr. Mercier and many of them are going to take some of these old prophecies, and dig them out, and revise them a little, or bring them up to date, and put them in papers. 
Thus saith the Lord - the women’s vote elected the wrong man
The 1960 U.S. Presidential Election was held on November 8, 1960. Five days after the election, on November 13, 1960, William Branham mentioned a prophecy on tape for the very first time. He blamed John F. Kennedy’s election on the women’s vote:
- I'd like to read some things that I'd like for you to--to... This one first. I'd like to read something to you.
- 1932: (Listen to this.) As I was on my way... Or as I was getting ready to go on my way to church this morning, it came to pass that I fell into a vision. Our services is being held on Meigs Avenue at the old orphans' home, where Charlie Kern lives in part of the building." (He lives just across the street now, you know.)
- And it came to pass that while I was in this vision I seen some dreadful things take place. I speak this in the Name of the Lord.
- It shall--also has been an evil thing done in this country; they have permitted women to vote. This is a woman's nation, and she will pollute this nation as Eve did Eden. Now, you see why I'm hammering the way I do. I got, THUS SAITH THE LORD. In her voting she will elect the wrong person. …Women, given the right to vote, elected President-elect Kennedy--with the woman's vote, the wrong man, which will finally be to full control of the Catholic church in the United States; then the bomb comes that explodes her.”
But he was wrong. According to Gallup, during the 1960 election 51% of women voted for Nixon and 49% voted for Kennedy. So, this is a false THUS SAITH THE LORD prophecy that was first spoken after it had been 'fulfilled'. Read more on Women's Suffrage.
And why did William Branham first "read" this prophecy publicly only after he thought that it had been fulfilled?
Preach against those you don’t like
William Branham did not respect Franklin D. Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, voting women, Jacqueline Kennedy, or the Catholic Church. It is no surprise that these people made their way from his sermons into his prophecies. In the United States, women were given a right to vote in 1920. William Branham called this an “evil thing”, which he claimed he had the right to do because he had “Thus Saith The Lord”.
Message Believers and Women Politicians
Message Believers watch women in politics very closely, and have many conspiracy theories about them. Some (like Pearry Green) have claimed that Hillary Clinton will be the fulfillment of this prophecy and run for President. Yet others supported Sarah Palin in her candidacy as she was Republican "and not evil". So in our experience the fulfillment of this prophecy seems to be interpreted by the political leanings of the individual Message Believer.
- ↑ Before the end time comes, there'll be a woman, that'll be a great ruler in this nation. She will either be president or something on that order, some great woman. (May 1, 1955, Chicago, Illinois)
- ↑ It shall--also has been an evil thing done in this country; they have permitted women to vote. This is a woman's nation, and she will pollute this nation as Eve did Eden. Now, you see why I'm hammering the way I do. I got, THUS SAITH THE LORD. In her voting she will elect the wrong person. …Then when these women help elect the wrong person, then I seen a great woman rise up in the United States, well-dressed and beautiful, but cruel in heart. She will either guide or lead this nation to ruination. (I've got in parenthesis "perhaps Catholic church.")…It will be near the end. (Then I've got in parenthesis: "I predict that this will take place." Now, remember, the Lord ne... That's what the Lord showed, but "I predict this will take place before 1977.") … Women, given the right to vote, elected President-elect Kennedy--with the woman's vote, the wrong man, which will finally be to full control of the Catholic church in the United States; then the bomb comes that explodes her. (November 13, 1960, Jeffersonville, Indiana)
- ↑ And I said, "It will come to pass before the end time comes that there will be a great woman stand up in the United States, because the United States is marked woman. Her number is thirteen, and she'll rise up, either be president, or (I put it in parentheses) perhaps the woman being beautiful and attractive will be the Catholic church but cruel at heart, and she'll lead the nation to pollution. (November 25, 1960, Shreveport, Louisiana)
- ↑ How many remembers that vision, here in the church? Sure. Said that, how that even Kennedy would be elected in this last election. How that women would be permitted to vote. … Now, and it said in there, "At that time, there'd be a great woman stand up in the United States." And she was dressed and beautiful, but she was cruel in heart. And I got in parenthesis on the vision, even yellow paper, said, "perhaps the Catholic church." And the women being permitted to vote would help elect the wrong person for this nation. And that's what they done. Exactly. Now, said, "That would be the beginning." Now another thing it said, that... Then immediately after that, I saw this nation become as a smolder, just blowed to bits. (December 5, 1960, Jeffersonville, Indiana) and “Now, so then I said, "There will be in that time, during that time the women will be permitted to vote, and they'll elect the wrong person." They did it on this last election. That's right. "Which will start the stronghold. During that time it'll come to pass that--that there'll be a great woman rise up in the United States, she'll be beautifully dressed," and I got in parenthesis: "(perhaps the Catholic church)." See? "That'll take rulership over the power, overpower the others in the United States. She'll be beautiful to look at, but she'll be cruel-hearted as she can be." (December 8, 1960, Jeffersonville, Indiana) and I said, "Then I seen a... They're going to permit women and are permitting women to vote. And by voting, they'll elect the wrong man some of these days." And you did at the last election. It was the woman's votes that elected Kennedy. We know that, see, between the crooked machines and things fixed up, that FBI exposed. And how could anybody... Why don't they do something about it? Why ain't something said? Hah! Afraid somebody'd lose their job. You see, it's just a bunch of politics, rotten to the core. That's all. Sure!...But there'll be a powerful woman! Now, remember! This is on tape, too. A powerful woman, great woman, she'll either be President, or it'll be a woman representing the Catholic church (which I think it is) will take over here someday and she'll rule this country. This nation is a woman's nation. Flag was made by a woman, it's number thirteen. She started out, thirteen stars, thirteen stripes, thirteen colonies. Everything's thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, right on down. Thirteen stars on her silver dollar now. Everything's a thirteen. It's number thirteen, and appears in the 13th chapter of Revelation. Completely thirteen! Everything is "woman, woman, woman, woman, woman," right on down. And she took over all the offices. She's took over Hollywood. She's took over the nations. She's took over the offices. She's took over everything there is; equal rights with the man, votes with the man, cusses like a man, drinks like a man, anything else. And just bait for the Catholic church, for the worship of a woman! They're already worshipping a woman, anyhow. (December 11, 1960, Jeffersonville, Indiana)
- ↑ I said, "Another thing, the nation has permitted women to vote, one of the most horrible disgraces they've done." And I said, "In voting they'll elect the wrong man.”…And I said, "Then I seen some great powerful woman rise in the United States." 'Cause this is a woman's nation: woman's picture on the money; everything is woman here. That's right. She's a goddess. Not you Christian women. I'm talking about...And I seen a great woman rise up, beautiful to look at, but a cruel wicked heart. And that will be a church. And she's on her road now. (March 12, 1961, Richmond, Virginia)
- ↑ And then I said, "The women has been permitted to vote. Which is a--absolutely a disgrace upon the nation. And in voting, someday they'll elect the wrong man." And they did that in this last election. My, my…Now, that brings us then to the election of President Kennedy…Now, I predicted and said, "I saw a great woman stand up, beautiful looking, dressed in real highly royals like purple, and I got little parenthesis down here, "She was a great ruler in the United States, perhaps the Catholic church." A woman, some woman... I don't know her to be the Catholic church. I don't know. I can't say. Only thing I seen, I seen the woman; that was all. (August 6, 1961, Jeffersonville Indiana)
- ↑ Then I said, "I seen a woman stand in the United States, like a great queen or something. And she was beautiful to look at, but wicked in her heart. And she made the nation step, go at her step." (July 26, 1964, Jeffersonville, Indiana)
- ↑ God showed me that women began to be out of their place with the granting of the vote…Then in the sixth vision there arose up in America a most beautiful, but cruel woman. She held the people in her complete power. I believed that this was the rise of the Roman Catholic Church, though I knew it could possibly be a vision of some woman rising in great power in America due to a popular vote by women. (Church Age Book, Chapter 9)
- ↑ CONDEMNATION.BY.REPRESENTATION_ JEFF.IN V-2 N-13 SUNDAY_ 60-1113
- ↑ CONDEMNATION.BY.REPRESENTATION_ JEFF.IN V-2 N-13 SUNDAY_ 60-1113
- ↑ Election pol results for the 190 Presidential election